Residents of Bengaluru may access Metro network within 1-2 km from their home or place of work by 2032.
The strategy is part of the roadmap to achieve the status of $1 trillion economy for the state by 2032.
A committee, constituted by the Planning Department under the chairmanship of Additional Chief Secretary (Finance Department), ably assisted by Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industries (FICCI), and McKinsey — in collaboration with department secretaries and industry experts — has recommended a set of initiatives to increase the GDP of the state to $1 trillion.
"Four new Metro lines proposed towards the target of Metro access to every citizen of Bengaluru within 1-2 km of their place of work or residence by 2032,” reads the action plan.
The plan entails developing two new routes and two extensions in Phase 3 of the Namma Metro project, at an estimated cost of Rs 27,000 crore.
The two new metro corridors proposed are:
1. Old Airport Rd, from MG Road to Hope Farm via Marathahalli and Whitefield (IT corridor): 16 km underground corridor at an estimated cost of Rs 9,600 crore (Rs 600 crore/Km)
2. Nagawara-Kempegowda International Airport via Thanisandra / Bharatiya city: 25-Km-long at an estimated cost of Rs 10,000 crore (Rs 400 crore/km)
The extension lines are:
1. Whitefield - Katamanallur/Hoskote: 6-km-long at a cost of Rs 2,400 crore (Rs 400 crore/km)
2. Extension of Bannerghatta line to Jigani: 12-km-long at Rs 4,800 crore (Rs 400 crore/km)
The route proposed in the Vision document is besides the 45-km network already approved by the State government in November 2022.
The 44.65-km-long Phase-III will have two corridors.
The 32.15-km Corridor 1 with 22 stations will extend the Metro line from Kempapura to JP Nagar Phase IV. Once this corridor is complete, Bengaluru will have a circular metro on the Outer Ring Road (ORR).
The Corridor 2 from Hosahalli to Kadabagere along Magadi Road will have a length of 12.5 km with nine stations.
For the Corridor 1, stations are planned at JP Nagar (IV, V phases), Kamakhya bus depot, PES Institute of Technology, Nagarbhavi Circle, Sumanahalli Cross, Hosakerehalli Cross, Kanteerava Studio, Peenya, BEL Circle, Mysuru Road, and Hebbal.
For the Corridor 2, Stations are likely to come at Hosahalli, Sumanahalli Cross, Herohalli, Vinayak Nagar, Byadarahalli, Sunkadakatte, and Kadabagere on the Magadi Road section.
The Centre has received already received a proposal from the state government for implementation of Phase-III of the Namma Metro Project.
The project, estimated to cost Rs 16,368 crore, is scheduled to take five years to complete from the date of the Centre’s approval.
While 40 per cent of the cost would be split equally between the Union government and the State government, the remaining 60 per cent will be raised through debt. The Centre is likely to provide additional funds under the PM Gati-Shakti scheme to fast-track transport infrastructure projects.
Bengaluru Metro, christened as "Namma Metro", is an urban Mass Rapid Transit System (MRTS) with two lines and 51 stations serving Bengaluru, Karnataka’s capital and largest city.
The project is being implemented by Bangalore Metro Rail Corporation Limited (BMRCL) which is a joint venture of Government of India and Government of Karnataka.
As you are no doubt aware, Swarajya is a media product that is directly dependent on support from its readers in the form of subscriptions. We do not have the muscle and backing of a large media conglomerate nor are we playing for the large advertisement sweep-stake.
Our business model is you and your subscription. And in challenging times like these, we need your support now more than ever.
We deliver over 10 - 15 high quality articles with expert insights and views. From 7AM in the morning to 10PM late night we operate to ensure you, the reader, get to see what is just right.
Becoming a Patron or a subscriber for as little as Rs 1200/year is the best way you can support our efforts.